Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Free 3-D Sock Monkey Applique Crochet Pattern

Sock Monkey's are timeless and loved by people everywhere. I designed this pattern by request from my Mom. She writes patterns too but was trying to give me an idea for something new which she always has! I'm not the creative one, I'm the technical one. Anyway I tried to make this different than any monkey applique I'd seen. 

So why did I call it 3-D. First because you could actually use it as Amigurimi (stuffed toy). It makes a ball shape and you could stuff it with bead or stuffing for a fun toy! To use as an applique just keep it flat. It's a little thick but not heavy. Just follow directions below and make it how ever you like! 


Free 3-D Sock Monkey Applique Crochet Pattern



Materials: ww(4) yarn 
I used I Love This Yarn from Hobby Lobby  in Red, Ivory, black and Vanna’s Choice in Taupe Mist for the Monkey.
F Hook
Measures approx. 2 inches x 2 inches
Stitches used:
(ch)chain
(sl st) slip stitch
(sc) single crochet
(hdc) Half double crochet
(hdc dec) half double crochet decrease
Applique is worked in rounds
Start with Red or your color preference
Rd 1 - Ch 2, sc in 2nd ch from the hook 8 times, Join to 1st sc with sl st
Rd 2 - Ch 1, 2 sc in each sc, join with sl st  (16)
Rd 3 - Ch1 , *2 sc in sc, 1 sc in next sc around , join with sl st (24)
Rd 4 (change to cream) ch1 , sc in each sc, join with sl st (24)
Rd 5-8 (change to Taupe) ch 2, hdc in each sc (24)
Rd 9  - ch 2, hdc, Hdc dec around, join with sl st , ( do not fasten off! We’ll come back and close this off in the end)
Mouth: 
With Cream yarn
Ch 8, Sc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across, work 3 sc in last ch,
continue around on opposite side of ch, sc in each ch with 3 sc in last ch, join with sl st to first sc. fasten off but leave a long tail to attach mouth to face.
Use Red yarn and sew a few stitches across the middle of the mouth. I attached the mouth to the face her but you don’t have to at this step. 
Attach mouth to face by sew around edges of the mouth. 
Eyes: sew two x’s for the eyes or you can attach small buttons if you’d like.
Closing up the Monkey head : 
Rd 10 - sc dec continually around until only 4-5 stitch remain, sew the hole shut, weave in ends. 
Ears: Make 2
Rd 1 - ch 2, 5 sc in 2nd ch from the hook
Rd 2 -  ch 1, 2 sc in each sc (10)
fasten off but leave a long tail to sew on head
Sew on the ears
Make a tiny pom pom and sew it to the top of the hat
(need help- check out this site for instructions)
You can now attach you applique to anything you’d like! hat’s, scarfs, purses and more! 
To attach applique just use coordinating yarn or thred and sew along the edges. 
You could also use this as a fun small stuffed toy or ball. Just fill with stuffing or beads. 

Copyright ©2011 Calleigh’s Clips & Crochet Creations All rights reserved. These instructions may not be photocopied or reproduced in any manner. They may not be sold. I have made every effort to ensure that these instructions are accurate and complete. You may make this pattern and sell items using it I just ask that you give me credit by linking back to my website - http://www.calleighsclips.com


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Im a beginner and would like to know if you have a video showing how to crochet this sock monkey applique?

Elisabeth Spivey said...

I do not unfortunately. I am working on doing more with YouTube this year so I'll add it to my todo list ;)

Anonymous said...

Where is the pattern for the face?

Elisabeth Spivey said...

See mouth eyes and ears in the 2nd half of the pattern above. It’s all there ;)

Post a Comment

Do tell! Your comments are always exciting and encouraging.